Do you need a Dealer Bond Rider?

It’s common for our auto dealers (Retail, Wholesale, or Auto Broker) to need something fixed or changed after they purchased their Car Dealer Bond. This amendment is called a Dealer Bond Rider.

The 3 Most Common Reasons a Car Dealer would need a Rider:

If you are applying for your California DMV Dealer License then you know that the business address and business name on your motor vehicle bond have to match identically to all of your other documents. Here are just a few: City Business License, Resale Permit issued by the Department of Tax and Fee Administration, DMV License Application, Lease, etc. Here’s the list of the most common reasons our car dealers need a rider in 2018:

  1. There was a mistake was made in the name or address when your bond was issued;
  2. A change of the DBA or you move your business location (a rider is not needed if you only change your mailing address); or
  3. If you file for another DBA (your DMV inspector will advise if another bond is needed or if your current MVD dealer bond can simply be amended with a rider.)
California Car Dealer

Why are things so confusing?

Cost of Obtaining a Dealer Bond Rider:

  • $50 is the cost of the rider to be mailed via USPS.
  • $70 is the cost of the rider to be Priority Mailed with Tracking.
  • $100 is the cost of the rider to be Overnighted to you.

Your Car Dealer Bond will always pay for your rider if we made a mistake when we issued your bond. Therefore, you can feel comfortable about doing business with us! 


How do I Order a Rider for my Car Dealer Bond?

You simply need to email [email protected] with the following information:

  1. The exact change that needs to be made. (If a DBA is being added, please email us a copy of the new Business License.)
  2. Your DMV Car Dealer License Number, Dealer Name, and Bond Number.
  3. The mailing address you would like the dealer bond rider mailed to.

 Remember a Rider is the name of the form that will modify your car dealer bond…



OL25 Surety Bond for Auto Dealers

OL25 Surety Bond for Auto Dealers


Some things to keep in mind if you do need a Dealer Bond Rider.

  1. Changes can not be made over the phone.
  2. A Dealer Bond Rider typically take a day to process so we really appreciate your patience.
  3. A bond limit change will require you to get another MVD bond altogether. Eg, changing your bond from $10,000 to $50,000  (or vice-versa) will require you to purchase another bond.
  4. Changes in ownership will also require you to purchase another bond and cancel the bond you have now.
  5. Expedited mailing options are available so no worries if you need this rider ASAP!

Does Your Car Dealer Bond (YCDB) offer Additional Services?

  • Are you getting your California Auto Dealer License and having some problems with the paperwork? Let our expert walk you through the process TODAY!
  • Need Car Dealer Insurance? Again, you need an expert and we have you covered! Click here to get hooked up with our insurance team!

Do you have Friends in the Business that need a Car Dealer Bond?

Most of our Used Car Dealer customers come to us by referral! Please keep YCDB in mind when you need a Car Dealer Bond! Call 866-357-4405 Now for immediate service.


Car Dealer Bond Rider process made simple from your friends at YCDB. Best in class in 2018!



Your Car Dealer Bond also has a secret value addition for all of our used car dealer customers. YCDB created a special tool for our customers to manage the back-end of your dealership and you are going to love it. Ask us about it and trust us, what we created is going to blow your mind!



Customer Service